Monks as we know them are those who chose to live a life of solitude through prayer and contemplation. The monastic movement originally began as a protest against the growing worldliness of the church, but gradually it became a formative and influential movement within the church. The showed the church what it meant to not just do the acts of worship, but be devoted to them and to spend purposeful time with God. The movement helped level out the church and create a deeper sense of personal devotional meaning in prayer.
I wonder how many churches have a deep devotion to prayer and not just corporately, but personally as well. What would it look like if the church pushed for not just deeper personal prayer, but radical prayer. I'm not saying we should all quit our jobs and join a monastery in order to be more devoted, but using their example can help.
Using the monks example of living a devoted prayer life can help in any Christians walk. I will be the first to say I don't have the most devoted prayer life, but when I picture the monks I can't help but be challenged.
Recently I have been challenged by resting more in the presence of God and what better way to do that then have a more devoted prayer life. A time where I rest in His presence, but spend quality time with Him in prayer.
Let's become monks, but not become monks as the same time. I hope that makes sense.
In Christ,
Corey
I'll become a monk if you do. It's hard to take time out of your schedule just to sit and pray, but that is such great productive rest. Aso, I like the birds on your blog...
ReplyDelete