Sunday, September 9, 2012

Are you a Follower or a Leader?

I remember when I was in high school people would ask this question all the time. Are you a follower or a leader? Every time it was asked I didn't really answer because I didn't care, but it was somehow followed up by a condescending; Oh, your a follower... Every time this came about it made it seem like it was bad to be a follower, or to follow something rather than to take the lead, or be the initiator.

A few days ago in class the statement was made that in order to be a good leader you must be a follower first. I haven't thought about what happened in high school in a long time, but this idea brought me back into the past and through the path I've traveled up until now. All I have to say is transformation is amazing and you wouldn't even notice when it takes place. This was the case in my instance. Through these years I had put myself into the "follower" mindset, but God had a different plan which was using that in order to make me a leader. Now it all makes sense!

I wish that someone would ask me that question because then I'd answer, "Both". You need to be a follower first in order to be a leader, but as you become a follower you also become a leader. Very interesting and inspiring.

"Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ". (1 Corinthians 11:1) Paul one of the biggest if the most important leaders in Church history. Not only did he start it, but throughout his entire life he led it alongside other apostles. Paul was a leader and he recognized this, but he also recognized his place as a follower to the biggest leader of all, Christ. It takes many things to become great followers and leaders such as humility, patience, strong will, and many others. The great thing is that these appear more so once we follow the example of Christ and become like Him.

So as we follow leaders here who we will learn from and get incredible insight from we can't forget our ultimate leader which is Christ, who called us all the follow him.


Be Blessed!





             

2 comments:

  1. I was definitely one of those people who had that same initial reaction to people who couldn't answer the question of follower or leader. I had a mentality of "you need to have confidence. then you're a leader." How unfair! I have been working towards patience to help those around me see their leadership potential, because like Josh said- it's a skill, not a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this! I hated how often I felt like it was a bad thing, being a follower. But as I grow in Christ and see that the ones who appear to be followers, are leaders, I am pushed more to be a follower just for the sake of learning and being shepherded. And it is there that the Lord entrusts me with things I wouldn't have been able to handle before.

    ReplyDelete