Sunday, October 14, 2012

Why Write A Worship Song?


Instead of talking a whole lot about why writing worship songs is good, i'm going to make the reason simple: Because God deserves it. God deserves the outpour of our heart and the glory due to Him through songwriting. Last class we shot out ideas of why we write worship songs and these included catharsis, testimony, money, and others. The real why was simply because God deserves it and by doing so we are obeying God. I don't write a lot of worship songs because they never end up how I want them to, and then I just throw them in the trash. The more important idea is that when I do write i'm doing it because God deserves it rather than writing without reason.

Psalm 96:1 "Sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth."

This verse doesn't say sing a new song followed by to the Lord, but rather it says sing to the LORD a new song. When we sing that new song we are doing it because the Lord deserves all the glory and honor from it.

Why write a worship song?

... Because God deserves it.

  

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I really do...

    ...and yet I feel such intense fear that what I have written is at best bad music and at worst bad theology. Writing the song seems to be a much easier step than sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Corey. And not only does God deserve it, but when you write something to God, whether it is a poem, a prayer or a song - it is an act of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sounds like you got some dumpster diving to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha I guess I do have some dumpster diving to do!

    ReplyDelete